Euthanasia... Not for the weak hearted

It took me quite awhile before i decided to blog on the topic of euthanasia. You must be thinking... "Wow, What made you think about such a serious & controversial topic?"

Well, we just finished watching a video about euthanasia in religion class. I must say, it really got me thinking about "assisted suicide" & "voluntary suicide". These are the terms most commonly used in place of the word, EUTHANASIA. There is an agency in Switzerland called DIGNITAS that helps people die (a.k.a assisted suicide). [Well, their website claims that assisted suicide cannot be called euthanasia. If you're interested to find out more,  Here's the link of the website: Search for terminology & Definitions.]

There are always 2 sides to a coin. In the same way, there will always be people for it and against it. Or some people are neutral about it because it doesn't really affect them. Here's the video that we watched in class...

I have to admit, before watching the video, i didn't really have any strong views about it. Maybe it was because I didn't really know what it was. I had no idea what the effects and implications were. Yes, i can imagine the pain that some people go through daily and everyday seems to be a torture for them. But after watching the video, I realised that i had a pretty "selfish" thinking. In the sense that i was only thinking from the person's point of view. I totally neglected how the family & loved ones will feel. The video made me realise that you must have a very strong heart or strong head to go on with the assisted suicide, leaving your family members behind.

DIGNITAS recommends that a family or kin be present during the "assisted suicide" so that they would not have to deal with unnecessary rage and court cases from the family members. Imagine, flying with your loved one to Switzerland to participate in assisted suicide. Having to watch your loved one die right before your eyes, probably in your arms, knowing that it was their choice to die and you pretty much couldn't do anything to stop it. After that, flying back to your home country without your loved one as he/she will be transported some other way. It's hard. Really hard. You must have a very strong heart to go through that whole process.

This was what i found on DIGNITAS their response to social issue under A word on religious issues...
"This move is a positive one regarding end-of-life and assisted dying issues: in his famous book “Utopia” – which outlined his view of an ideal society – Thomas More, described how the Utopians treat their sick fellows:
“I have already told you with what care they look after their sick, so that nothing is left undone that can contribute either to their ease or health: and for those who are taken with fixed and incurable diseases, they use all possible ways to cherish them, and to make their lives as comfortable as possible. They vi­sit them often, and take great pains to make their time pass off easily: but when any is taken with a torturing and lingering pain, so that there is no hope, either of recovery or ease, the priests and magistrates come and exhort them, that since they are now unable to go on with the business of life, are become a burden  to  themselves  and  to all about them, and they have really outlived themselves, they should no longer nourish such a rooted distemper, but choose rather to die, since they cannot live but in much misery: being assured, that if they thus deliver themselves from torture, or are willing that others should do it, they shall be happy after death. Since by their acting thus, they lose none of the pleasures but only the troubles of life, they think they behave not only reasonably, but in a manner consistent with religion and piety; because they follow the ad­vice given them by their priests, who are the expounders of the will of God. Such as are wrought on by these persuasions, ei­ther starve themselves of their own accord, or take opium, and by that means die without pain. But no man is forced on this way of ending his life; and if they cannot be persuaded to it, this does not induce them to fail in their attendance and care of them; but as they believe that a vo­luntary death, when it is chosen upon such an authority, is very honourable.” 
The former Catholic synod theologian Prof. Dr. Hans Küng, a Swiss who lectured at the University of Thüringen in Germany for decades, emphasized that God gave humans responsibility for their entire lives. Therefore, one may also return this gift of life to the creator if it becomes too arduous. "

I know it is a long paragraph. But I would like to question and bring attention to some points. But where in the bible did God talk about voluntary suicide or assisted suicide?

"because they follow the ad­vice given them by their priests, who are the expounders of the will of God"
Secondly, aren't priests human? No human is perfect. Sometimes, they might expound things that may not truly be God's will. I mean, we don't know what is God's plan... Until, we are able to achieve that close relationship with God. Just like the relationship Moses, Aaron, Josua, David... had with God. Where God, Himself appeared to them.

"God gave humans responsibility for their entire lives. Therefore, one may also return this gift of life to the creator if it becomes too arduous."
Thirdly, we are accountable to God how we live our lives. You know, when we return a gift to our friend, it is an insult. It shows that you don't appreciate that person's sincerity & generosity. In the same way,  by "returning" this gift of life, we are indirectly insulting God. God promised us that no matter how tough times get, He will always be with us [Deut 31:6 Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.] and He will not give us more than we can handle [1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful;he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.]  As such, Prof. Dr. Hans Küng's statement is flawed.

I am still not 100% sure what is my view & stand towards euthanasia. I guess, that's why it's called a moral dilemma. There is no clear cut answer. It is a grey area. But I have definitely learnt a lot and my mind has never worked so hard before. There were practically debates going on in my head during and after watching the video. I really encourage you to watch the video as you will definitely gain insights and new perspectives.

On a random note, I changed my blog description. I have added "Views from a NOT SO mainstream teen." Well, I have read quite a few blogs of people my age and realised my posts are nothing like theirs. Firstly, their posts are filled with lots of pretty pictures of themselves and secondly, they don't write on things as controversial as I do. I am a very different teen. Unique and not so mainstream in terms of my views and topics I choose to blog about. Funny enough though, i had an internal debate in my head the other day (after reading blogs of other teens with their pictures making up the majority of the blog)... Pretty Vs Prudent. I chose the latter.

Why? You may ask... Well, firstly, I am not pretty. I pretty much can't do anything about it unless you're talking about surgery which takes too much time & effort. Can't be bothered... But if I'm not wise or smart, I can work on it and become wiser ;) Secondly, I rather be known of having "substance" knowledge & intellect rather than being another "pretty vase" that does nothing much but look good. Let's just say I'm pretty passionate to see how far I can push  & challenge gender stereotypes within our society. There's so much more I can go on with this topic. I'll save it for another time...

Have a great week ahead!

God's love & blessings~
Xoxo
Supergirl M


Comments

Popular Posts