Education as a Religion?

How about education as a religion? How does that sound? It's definitely the first time I've heard of it but the idea behind has always been there. I recently read an article written by Daniel Wong titled "Has education become a religion in Singapore?" Click here to read the article... It is a well written article that truly describes Singaporeans' attitudes to academic qualifications. "We no longer pursue education qualifications; we worship them"

Having been a student in the Singapore education system, I can identify with the characteristics described in the article. The ironically large emphasis on tuition classes makes me doubt if school teachers are even doing their jobs. To me, there was simply no joy in learning. I felt that I was forced into learning things I simply wasn't interested in. This made me hate learning a lot! Going to school and tuition classes was a very painful process.

I am fortunate enough to have to opportunity to study overseas. This has broadened my perspective and enabled me to make comparisons between the education systems. I experienced a mini 'culture' shock when I started my first term in an Australian High School. Schools in Singapore rely mostly on the textbook for information & resource. Whereas in Australia, you're encouraged to look for more information beyond your textbook be it the internet or newspapers. Within the first few weeks of term, Google became my best friend :)  In Singapore, students tend to be very reliant on teachers for advice and information so much so it is said that the teachers "spoon feed" the students to save time because there is just way too much in the syllabus to cover within that short period of time. It is a pity because students lose an avenue to develop such valuable research skills. Many a times, there is so much emphasis placed on what is in the textbook that when required, students are unable to think out of the box.

As a Singaporean, I feel that our society is rather judgmental. We care a lot about "face". As such, there is a very large emphasis on academic qualifications. Academic qualifications is not everything. Not everyone is cut out to be "an academic suck hole"  (quote taken from The Turning by Tim Winton) I believe the most important thing is hard work and determination. Someone may not be good at academics but they may have an interest and excel at fashion designing... Does it make this person less than someone with numerous qualifications? NO! For all you know, this person with numerous qualifications might only be book smart and has troubles dealing with people....

Anyway, what I'm saying here is education is important but there is no point forcing tuition classes down the poor student's throat if its gonna make them hate learning. Don't underestimate the power of hatred.  It can create a barrier and put an abrupt halt to learning. Trust me. I'm speaking from experience. The most important thing is to allow students to find that passion for learning. Once they enjoy learning, they will excel in it.

Just sharing my thoughts...

Have an Awesome week ahead!

Comments

Popular Posts