Love, BGR...

"I've been dreaming of a true love's kiss. And a prince I'm hoping comes with this." Does this sound familiar? It is a song from the movie Enchanted. Today I'll be sharing my views on a rather controversial topic. Kids below the age of 12 will squirm, Teens & parents may disagree with my views. I'm okay with it, in fact I do wanna hear your views on this topic. Just ensure that you share your views with respect. No F-words or any other *ahem* colourful vocabulary needed. If not, it only reflects badly on your character and show that your vocabulary is so puny that you have to use those words to express how you feel.

Okay, I am done with my disclaimer. Now onto the real thing. Just in case some of you are wondering what's BGR... Boy-Girl Relationship. Like girls & boys that are dating. Well, I have been on twitter a lot recently and I noticed some tweets from my friends expressing sadness & unhappiness with the status of the relationship. No offense, but I really think that the media has distorted the true representation of Love, relationships & things like that. I mean, everyone of us expects to have a Prince Charming boyfriend/husband who is talented in music, can cook, who is tall, has broad shoulders so that we can lean on them etc... What influenced us to think in this way? Our parents? Our teachers? My best guess would be the media. Movies, Tv series, Music Videos are a contributing factor.

Another thing the media covers up about the relationship is the 'hard work' & 'perseverance' to make the relationship work. Look at the relationships in Drama series. Wow, the guy is so good looking, so romantic, so perfect & he's so faithful to his girlfriend. (even though she's not as pretty as me... I'm kidding) When the director yells 'cut!' That is it. The actor's job is done. The on screen relationship we see in dramas practically last at most 4 weeks(depending on the length of filming)? We, as audiences do not realise that the Media Portrayed Relationship (MPR) don't last. We cannot use that as a yardstick to measure our relationships. Yes, your boyfriend maybe romantic, sensitive, caring and you feel like the luckiest girl in the world. But you never realise that hard work, patience, time & effort should be invested in a relationship for it to work. Why do we not know this? Because the media 'censored' this part. They had the power to redefine Love & relationships in our minds and they 'abused' the power.

So... What does the bible say about relationships & Love?
"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no records of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always PROTECTS, always TRUSTS, always HOPES, always PERSEVERES." 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

Based on this verse, how many of you are guilty for comparing your boyfriend with your other girl-friends' boyfriends? How many of you are guilty of bringing up your partner's past during a heated argument? I honestly have never been involved in a BGR (unless you count one sided love with Siwon... ^.*) but I believe BGR is similar to any other relationships. In the sense that time & effort is needed for it to grow & blossom. I will be using my relationship with my parents as an example. I am guilty of bringing up my parents' faults whenever we argue and this is WRONG! Although you may not know it, it hurts them. Parents are probably the least self-centred people in the World. Why? Because they gave up precious time & money to have you. Imagine all the things they could buy if they didn't have you (& your unlimited wants). I know that all parents want to PROTECT their children from harm (forever if they could), TRUSTS that they will do the right things,  HOPES the best for them & PERSEVERES whenever their children get angry & ignore them.

I don't know about you. As of NOW, I am pretty happy with the relationship with my parents. Who needs Boys? Please don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against boys. In fact I have quite a few friends who are boys and we're chill like that. I don't think I am ready to accept a relationship & the consequences of it just yet. Yes, it would be nice to have a boyfriend to lean on his shoulders and stuff. But seeing how my friends' health is affected due to the outcome of their relationships... It is okay, I can live without one for now. You may call me selfish, conservative, self-centered and other words in the thesaurus. I don't really care. I have the 3 main relationships in my life - God, Family & Friends and this is good enough for me AS OF NOW.

Okay this analogy may sound weird. But to me, a relationship is like a Gucci or Prada handbag. Is it good to look at? Yes. Is it nice to carry around? Yes. Similar to a relationship, people do not realise the burden of this branded handbag. People do not realise the hard work and long hours of work one has to put in to even afford the Gucci or Prada bag. In the same way, as a student. I do not have the financial capital or the disposable income to buy a branded bag. It is something I can live without for now.

Do let me know your views!
God's love & blessings always~

XOXO
Supergirl Marissa

Comments

Popular Posts