Movie review - The Lady


I have been wanting to watch the movie - The Lady for quite some time as I wanted to better understand Burma's Political system and leadership. I was really fortunate to catch the movie on the plane back to Singapore. The movie was heart warming and it brought tears to my eyes. Aung San Su Kyi , I salute and admire you! You and your late husband are definitely role models. They fought for what they believed in and they did not give up until they succeeded. 

Key lessons learnt from the movie
  1. Dictatorships are BAD! Citizens suffer under dictatorship and in the movie, the military ruled by force. The soldiers ' have the red scarf so (they) have the right to kill'. Well, historically proven that it did not succeed from Hitler to Mao.
  2. " Even though you don't think about POLITICS, Politics thinks about You." This quote really caught my attention. I definitely agree with it. The situations happening around Burma in the movie really depicts this quote. Even if people can't be bothered about politics, they still experience the torture of bad leadership under Military rule/dictatorship.
  3. If you believe in something - GO FOR IT! The determination shown by Aung San Su Kyi and her late husband, Michael is just so powerful and inspiring. 
  4. " Do unto others what you want others to do unto you" This quote was definitely seen in the on screen Aung San Su Kyi. She was gentle, kind and warm. I believe in one way or another, certain military soldiers of lower levels were touched by that.
  5. Well, this is not really a key lesson but I found it hilarious! When Aung San Su Kyi started playing the piano during the period she was under House Arrest, the soldiers guarding the house panicked. They hardly knew what music was. Until Michael, Aung San Su Kyi's husband told them what it was. Gosh, it's like the dictator controlled them from hearing music. (I seriously laughed a lot)
  6. " Freedom from Fear" This was another key quote I remembered from the movie. It is their goal they hoped to achieve for Burma.
Well, all in all, The Lady is an AMAZING movie! It really made me question my loyalty for Singapore. Would I make the same sacrifices (such as giving up her freedom, being away from family, not being able to spend time with kids as they grow up, missing her husband's funeral...) she made if my country needed me?

Comments

Popular Posts