Politics...

" Even if you don't think about politics, politics thinks about (affects) you" ~ The Lady, Ms Aung San Suu Kyi

This quote from the movie, The Lady, about Ms Aung San Suu Kyi's life has impacted me greatly. It encouraged me to reflect on my past & present life experiences involving politics. If you search politics up in the dictionary, you'll discover that it has many meanings although it seems like a somewhat simple word. In this blogpost, i will be particularly referring to these 2 meanings of politics.

  1. the activities of associating with the governance of the country.
  2. activities within an organisation that are aimed at improving someone's status or position and are typically devious or divisive.

Let me deal with the 1st meaning of politics. Well, i guess this meaning of politics is pretty understandable as it is simply related to the government. i agree with Ms Aung San Suu Kyi's quote. Even if you don't bother about who is in government, their actions will have an effect on your life whether you like it a not. For example, you might not bother to know who is in power. But if your government increases tax, that definitely affects you. You would probably want to know which government official did it and voice your grievances about it!

As a politics & law student, i can't seem to avoid politics and being attentive towards political issues. (well duh! it's a part of my course) Having learnt it for slightly over a year now, i'm more aware about the roles & duties of the government. This has made me appreciate Members of Parliament (MPs) in democracies because it is NOT EASY! All the different stages required to pass legislation, knowing all sections of the constitution and receiving petty complains from citizens... the list goes on. I coud spend a whole day explaining the roles & functions of government but i will stop here for now.

Sometimes nearing elections, i feel that the politicians lose the main purpose of governing a country. Their authority to rule was given by the people, but nearing elections, politicians seem to ignore the needs of the people and end up making it a competitions between the parties. Australia will be having their Federal election on 14 September. It will be interesting to see who Australians want as their National leader as Mr Kevin Rudd rejected the leadership role. It will now be between Ms Julia Gillard and Mr Tony Abott.

With regards to the 2nd meaning of politics, i have experienced it before and it wasn't exactly the best feeling in the world. Maybe i wasn't matured enough and i didn't know how to deal with it. i think i pretty much gotten over it. Since i could actually blog about it... i was previously in the executive committee of my previous school's student leadership team. yes, i learnt a lot from it but it also made my life rather miserable. i'm almost certain that in every leadership team, there will tend to be this ONE person who 'sucks' up to authority, demand that people must act according to their instructions and stabs people in the back to become the "good person". Wow, scary huh? Can't believe i survived a year with someone like that.  Let me call this type of people 'serpents' for the convenience of my story telling. i don't know what serpent had against me. Most of the time, i was picked on by serpent. Serpent had the ability to blow up minor issues and get the rest of us in trouble with the teachers. i felt that it was not safe to be myself (my true self). i felt that i had to be on my best behavior all the time to escape serpent's fury. It was like i had to force myself to become someone i was not and i couldn't break out from that stereotype as long as i was in that place. Oh and did i mention, the teachers weren't very helpful as they themselves seem to be involved in their own politics as well.  Having serpent around made school a chore. Maybe God knew what i was facing and decided that i needed a break from serpent's nonsense to find myself again. The hospitalisation was a good time away from the pressures of school and through it, God allowed me to find Him & my true self again!

i definitely loved the look on serpent's face when she saw that i lost so much weight after the hospitalisation. i was almost certain, she felt super guilty about it as she told me to 'forget about the past conflicts'. All I know was that God had it all planned out. I thank God for helping me survive it all and pray for wisdom to deal with the future politics i may face.

God's love & blessings~

Xoxo
Supergirl Marissa

Comments

Popular Posts