Saying Goodbye...

I can't believe the 2 years passed so fast! Before I embarked on my overseas education journey, Ms Michelle Chong's tweet to me read...

When I first read her tweet, I thought she was just being cliché. Now that I'm graduating, I finally understand what she means! It feels like yesterday since I joined the St. Mary's boarding community. It has definitely been the best 2 years of my life. I never experienced the joy of learning until I stepped into the sea of maroon. It has been a crazy week back into boarding as such, I didn't really get the opportunity to blog. We had a week full of farewells. WARNING... THIS IS GONNA BE A LONG POST as it contains short snippets of the farewells that happened throughout the week.

16 Oct - Wed : Final Chapel service followed by Coffee & cakes with Yr 12 Housemom
It was a nice, meaningful chapel service with us, year 12s processing into the chapel with lit candles. Followed by reflections of our boarding journey by the Head boarder, chapel prefect and an International student. I really enjoyed the joint message by Rev Gerry and Mrs Campbell. In all honesty, I believe its the best sermon message I heard in my 2 years of boarding. The message started off by reminding us how little kids enjoy blowing bubbles... How we enjoy seeing bubbles floating around but once we try to touch and reach out for them, they disappear. It's pretty much the same way in life. We should enjoy happiness while working towards our goals! That's the most important part. Once we lose this happiness, life would be so dull and meaningless. Sometimes, even when achieving our goals, we don't enjoy that sense of satisfaction and happiness anymore because we become 'greedy' and always want more.

The first thought that came into my mind was my working experience with Munch. I'm glad it was a holiday job! To be honest, if it continued any longer, I was afraid... Afraid that I would be too ambitious, miss the whole point of learning and the whole experience would be dull & monotonous. So, I guess everything happens for a reason and God had it all planned out.

After the chapel service, we went out to get coffee and cakes with Ms H, our year 12 housemom. It was nice having her around! Whenever she visits my room, she would always remind me to take a break from my books. She has always been sooooo lovely and quirky! I'm definitely gonna miss her so much.




17 Oct - Thurs : Farewell from the year 11s
The theme they chose this year was Runaway Circus. It was a very lovely small gathering of Year 11s & 12s and some boarding and school staff. Year 12s wore ball gowns and I found it really apt because we wore them for the ball at the beginning of the year and now that we are 'ending' our time in boarding, we're wearing them again. It's like some form of closure. It was nice to know the year 11s loved us soooo much. This was evident throughout the speeches they wrote and the amazing things they said about us. It's nice to know that they think I'm nice and I study a lot (in their opinion... Because in my parents' opinion, I'm just not studying hard enough. Talk about my parents being slave drivers. well technically, my dad. But I'm grateful that he has slowed down a little & has been rather sweet to me. I truly Thank God for changing him! See.... God answers prayers). Most of all, I'm nice because I provide chilli for them. I'm like the chilli supplier especially to my Asian boarding sisters... The best part of the speech in my opinion was that they recognised that I was pretty confident of my decisions. I have a mind of my own and I'll stick to the decisions I made... I paraphrased because I can't remember the exact words they said but it had this meaning.





18 Oct - Fri : Music Farewell
It was a privilege to join the rest of musicians at the Music dinner. During my 2 years at St. Mary's, I had the opportunity to be a member of the chorale and we sang at various services & events both within and out of school. It was nice to hear the music creations by students who took music as an examinable subject. Most of all, I fell in love with the stylish food presentation all done up by the boarding house kitchen!

21 Oct - Mon : Dinner with Mrs Campbell
A lovely finale to the week full of farewells. We had a lovely dinner with Mrs Campbell, our head of boarding at a nice cosy restaurant. I have to be as vague as possible so I won't ruin the surprise for the future year 12s. After dinner, we headed to Kings Park to have some photos taken. Let me tell you, the night view of the lights at the CBD is just so beautiful!!








22 Oct - Tues : School Valedictory Service & Dinner
Earlier in the year, I was chosen to be part of the valedictory service committee. We met up with the Principal to discuss the theme, song and other details. The song chosen by our Music Prefect was For Good, from the musical Wicked. It's a very apt song for our graduation. So the theme revolved around "Changed for the better". It was nice to see all our hardwork put into planning was worth it and it was a memorable night. Most of all, I think I somewhat got over my fear of speaking on stage... I had to say a prayer & I could literally feel my legs wobbling like jelly even after I said my part. Not good. Well, at least I gave it a try :) That's what matters right?

I was really fortunate to have 2 guardians supporting me throughout my overseas education journey and it was an honour to have them attending my valedictory service & dinner despite their busy schedules. It was a good time catching up with them and a great opportunity to thank them for all that they have done for me.

23 Oct - Wed : Last day of school
It was our final day of school! We could dress up as anything we wanted and had to perform for the Leavers' Assembly (aka muck up assembly) where the year 12s reminisces the past years through a comical skit! It was interesting to just let your hair down and go crazy! I loved it and I'm sure many others loved it too.



After the craziness, came the serious part. The handover of leadership ceremony. Most will say it is one of the most emotional ceremonies of the year. The gladness, relief, sadness and anticipation can be all experienced in this one assembly. For the year 12s, it is also probably the last school assembly we'll ever have.

After the assembly, we headed to the beach to chill as a cohort! That was my 3rd time walking to the beach and probably my last time. Well the beach was gorgeous! I'll let the pictures speak for themselves...



It has been an amazing journey and I'm thankful for everyone who played a part in it. I'm gonna miss you all. But I'll definitely treasure all the memories that we created together.  

"Our memories of the ocean will linger on, long after our footprints in the sand are gone." ~unknown 

Lots of love~

Xoxo
Marissa

Comments

Popular Posts