Benefits of STAR chasing?

Well, the Stars I am talking about here are actors, singers, pop idols... etc. Not those up in the sky. Well, I guess you get what I mean.

Recently, my parents were discussing the benefits of Co-Curricular Activites (CCA). As I shared with them how I would gladly attend CCAs but dread studying and going to school. My mum argued that CCA was only a part of school and in Singapore, CCA alone is not enough to get you a job. However, my dad stated that CCA actually moulds one's character and values. Through the CCA, one will learn teamwork, communication skills and other values.

This conversation made me think about the events I attended the past few days & through the years. Well, the first autograph event I attended was Fahrenheit's concert Autograph session in 2008. I was a newbie to all these things. I still remembered how I actually stood before my favourite singer/actor, Wu Chun & I was SPEECHLESS. I was awed by him so much so that I was afraid to even speak. Thankfully, my mum followed me to that autograph session and actually helped me ask Wu Chun to sign my bowling pin. After much deliberation, he signed and I was so happy!

2 to 3 years later, I found myself attending Fahrenheit's autograph sessions without my mum and with friends whom I met through online forums that share the same common interest - Fahrenheit. I managed to hold a conversation with Wu Chun though he was my favourite actor/singer. I guess I became more confident and it helps when I learnt to treat Wu Chun or any popular figure like a normal human being. It is quite amazing that I actually witness friendships & relationships that developed because of attending these 'chasing stars' events.

No doubt, parents may worry that their children may actually be spending too much time on chasing stars that they neglect their basic responsibilities e.g. studying. I guess, this is when one needs to be responsible and mature to know when to draw the line 'enough is enough' kinda thing. Parents can only lead and guide. If their children choose to ignore their advice, they will suffer the consequences. It is necessary for one to know how to balance 'chasing stars' & their basic responsibilities.

I look back and I can actually experience tangible benefits from attending star chasing events. It has definitely moulded my character and sharpened my interpersonal skills as I meet new people from different backgrounds at every event and soon, new friendships are formed. These events help build up my confidence when communicating with people I meet recently. (e.g. Meeting Jiro Wang of Fahrenheit in the Singapore Airport) Of course, a smile will enhance the conversation :)

So YES, I will say star chasing has its benefits when it is done in a responsible way.

Comments

Popular Posts