It's a tough one...

Solidarity... What does it even mean?
The Oxford Living dictionary defines Solidarity - Unity or Agreement of feeling or action, especially among individuals with common interest.

I first came across this term as a 17 year old, sitting in an Australian Classroom in Politics and Law Class. I vaguely remember Mrs Harris talking about party lines and how politicians would be expected to support the views of the party in solidarity, failure to do so, would result in their resignation from their position.

Growing up, I always knew I was different. Maybe I had Mr. Chang as my Father and Mrs Chang as my Mother... But jokes aside, choices I made as a kid (mostly guided by trying to prove myself to Mr. Chang) exposed me to the world of politics much earlier than others. I am not in a position to say if it's necessarily a good thing or a bad thing.

When I had the opportunity to switch from Combined Science to Politics and Law, 4 weeks late into the Semester, I threw caution to the wind and did it anyway. Even though I had no prior knowledge about the Australian political or legal system and so much to catch up with my peers. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made, as the lessons learnt truly shapes my mind and the view of the world. It gives me a better understanding into leadership and the course of action taken by leaders.

Ideally, Teamwork and solidarity is important within political parties. But teamwork can sometimes be a lost cause when balancing self interest and the perceived concept of what's best for the people.

I am trying to understand why politics is referred to as a dirty word. I have heard of negative outcomes associated with politics resulting in bloodshed, betrayal, manipulation not so much for the good of the people but for self interest. If you were to look at the word politics in itself, it simply means ' the activities associated with the governance of a country, especially the debate between parties having power'  based on the Oxford Living Dictionary.

As a Singaporean, I count myself lucky to be a citizen of a democracy. (Although my friends in Australia might argue that Singaporeans are given an illusion of a democracy) It honestly could have been worse under a system of government with corruption or under a dictator who simply serves his self interest at the expense of the people. No political system is perfect. No human is perfect.

Back to the word solidarity. It is something I hold dearly to my heart. (At age 17, I perfectly understood the the concept of ministers resigning as they were unable to support party lines)  Teamwork is something I value too.   If there are factions within a single party, (obviously teamwork would be a challenge. Not impossible, but a challenge) But would solidarity be present?
I am guessing not, but hey, it's an open question and debate. As always, I would love to hear your thoughts & responses.

God's love & blessings~

Xoxo
Marissa







Comments

Popular Posts