By His grace, Leon's ah Ma lives on~

Today is Good Friday. Am ever so grateful for what Jesus done on the cross for me. Thank You God for always loving us even when I feel so undeserving. Been crazy busy with so many things that I have neglected my blog. I have not been taking time to reflect on my life and my spiritual walk with God and maybe this is why I feel my life has been off balance...

But I am just ever so thankful that God never gives up on us no matter how far we run away from Him or how we get distracted by other things. This year I have been really challenging myself and doing things that I never really thought possible (for myself at least). I took up the challenge of acting as a cast member of my hall's annual production despite having no theatre experience at all. It was indeed a challenge as the directors wanted me to portray a Singaporean Aunty who uses Singlish and did i mention with a teenage son? People who know me personally would know that the years I spent in Australia has influenced me to speak proper English and Singlish does not come naturally to me. What you saw on stage was definitely not by my own strength but hours of gruelling rehearsals, under the guidance of the directors and by God's grace.

There were indeed obstacles in this production journey. I remember feeling so helpless during one of the rehearsals as I was not only feeling unwell, (unable to project my voice) but I was unable to nail down the emotions of the Singaporean Aunty. When rehearsing, your own performance would ultimately affect the rest of the other cast members. I honestly felt very lousy about myself and I knew, the directors were really disappointed with my performance. I remember telling God how I really needed His grace and strength to carry on. It is no more by my own strength as I clearly failed... How I really longed for Him to be glorified through my role in the production.

Whatever I may share from here on may sound super crazy, but it just happened...

In the following rehearsals, I made it a point to pray and commit the rehearsals to Him. I just felt at ease. Everything I did was as per normal, like before. The puzzling thing was that the feedback I got from the directors was not only positive, but they were surprised that I was able to improve so much. Almost nailing what they wanted. In one of the scenes, I remember another cast member telling me that my expressions and reactions was the best she has ever seen thus far. I remember telling her that I felt really anxious and 'kanchiong'. I don't know how those feelings came about but I know I wouldn't have been able to evoke those feelings by myself. This reminded me that prayer definitely changes things.

Even those this post comes a month late, as my production ended a month ago, I still want to make it a point to give God the glory that He deserves. The Singaporean Aunty you saw on stage was definitely NOT by my own strength as I was down with flu and cough during the week of productions, struggling to even breathe properly. (Feeling all floaty thanks to the medication.) But it was with God's help and His grace. I am truly grateful and thankful for this opportunity to not only try out theatre but also witnessing God working in my life and the lives of the people around me.

I definitely learnt a lot from this production and portraying the role of an Ah ma (mother)! I hope that you would be able to hear from me soon.

God's love & blessings~

Xoxo
Marissa

Comments

Popular Posts