Thank You Mr. Lee Kuan Yew

It's tough losing a loved one. Death is very real. This is coming from a person who attended more funerals than birthday parties while growing up. The pain and grief of losing a loved one hurts a lot. I know because I not only witnessed it but I experienced it for myself. As a kid, I remember following my parents to funerals of their friends' loved ones. Unlike many other kids, my parents did not shield me from all these gloomy events. Instead, they brought me along and taught me how to pay respect to the men and women who left this world.

In my 19+ years on Earth,  I have personally experienced grief from death for about 5 times.  Each time, I'd think I'll get better and stronger than the previous times since you had the experience of grieving. But that's not true. It hurts each and every time.

Singapore has just lost Mr. Lee Kuan Yew, One of the Founding Fathers of Singapore. He has contributed so much and sacrificed so much to mould Singapore to what it is today. This week was declared a week of mourning for the passing of Mr. Lee Kuan Yew. It was a week overwhelmed with emotion. In fact, for many Singaporeans, we may have never met Mr. Lee Kuan Yew in person. But we have seen and are benefitting from the fruits of has labor. 

In this week alone, I have read many articles that gives us insight into what Mr. Lee was really like and some that  celebrates the life of Mr. Lee Kuan Yew. He was faithful and loving Husband, patient and caring Father, humble, firm, wise National Leader. There are no words ever enough to describe what Mr. Lee Kuan Yew did for our nation.

It was heartwarming to see citizens come together in unity helping each other by providing food, water, to others who were queuing to pay their final respect to Mr. Lee Kuan Yew at the Parliament House. Even now, just watching the live procession on TV and seeing so many Singaporeans line the streets to say their final goodbyes despite the heavy rain evokes a sense of stirring emotions within. 

I believe that I speak for many Singaporeans when I say that no words can describe the sadness I am experiencing. I can only imagine what it'll be like for Mr. Lee's family, losing a Father, a Grandfather. The immense grief and sadness of losing a loved one.

Goodbye Mr. Lee Kuan Yew. Thank You for giving your life to developing Singapore. May you rest in peace. May Your soul find rest. We will miss you. God bless.



Comments

Popular Posts