Focus on the Positive things

Okay so recently my friend gave me a CD of Joyce Meyer's sermon titled 'Focus on the Positive Things in Life" Just as the title says... Focus on the positive things... - for me, personally, it is easier said than done. I am generally a cheerful person who tries to bring joy to others. However, once in awhile, I find myself becoming emo :( I don't know if it is because I'm PMS-ing or maybe I fear about not achieving the high standards I set for myself and that fear translates into me 'digging my own grave' that prevents me from achieving my full potential of being joyful.

Then again... After reflection, I realised it's all about perspective!

This reminds me of a lesson on fear that was conducted by Sherwin in LifeGroup (LG). This may sound strange to some but the feeling of fear/being afraid is not from God. Not from God then from who? Well, from God's opposition luh - Satan. Satan tries to play with human emotions and psychology to stop us from fully trusting in God and restricting us from carrying out God's work.

The passage Sherwin asked us to prepare was Matthew 8:23-27.

v23 Now when He got into a boat, His disciples followed Him. v24 And suddenly a great tempest arose on the sea, so that the boat was covered with the waves. But He was asleep. v25 Then His disciples came to Him and awoke Him, saying, "Lord, save us! We are perishing!"
v26 But He said to them, "Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?" Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm. v27 So the men marveled, saying, "Who can this be, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?"

You know, when we read this passage, the first thing that comes to mind is "Oh No! and in Singlish terms, jiat lat liao! How can the disciples have so little faith? They followed Jesus around right? They should know Him better..." But if we change the perspective that we're looking from, v26 stated "O you of LITTLE faith". It doesn't say No faith...  It said LITTLE faith. At least they had some faith and they looked for Jesus knowing that He could do something to stop the storm.

I don't know about you, but the world always makes us greedier? How should I say this? The world tells us we are never good enough, makes us envious of what others have and we compete to be the best. Wait, I am not saying there is anything wrong with competition or being the best... But we have to keep things in perspective. Let me give you an example... I've a friend who achieved perfect score for his final exam. When asked about his achievement, his parents were not satisfied with his grades and said "there are 30 over people who achieved the perfect score in the school..." When you're higher up, you keep wanting more... You never really realise how much you have been blessed with.

A method I have been using on myself - is to only allow myself to compete with myself. Haha it sounds confusing right? Honestly, I feel that the best competitor is - yourself. I am tired of comparing with other people and getting myself all frustrated because I can't dance or sing or I'm not as smart as another person. God has given everyone different talents and gifts. "Everyone is gifted at something. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life not realising its talent." ~ unknown
We should take time to celebrate & thank God for the talent & gifts He has blessed us with.

Check out this video from an interview with basketball player, Jeremy Lin. I am really encouraged by His testimony & I hope you will be too!



I always have to remind myself that Jesus is at the centre of it all no matter what I am doing and that my cup is (not half-full, not half-empty but) over-flowing with His love & joy. The primary aim of our existence is to worship God and NOT please people. We can never ever please everyone, there will always be haters.

Enjoy this worship song titled Trading my sorrows!



Yeah~ Let's trade our sorrows & worries for God's everlasting joy!
Keep smiling :D
All the best to those who are taking the O level Chinese paper today!

God's love & blessings~
Xoxo
Marissa


Comments

Popular Posts