Driver of Globalisation Undermines 'Connections'?

This issue has been bugging me for quite sometime now. I know I should be studying but hey, hear me out. I can't fully concentrate on my books unless I get this out of my system.

Yea, we all know the Internet has been an important technological advancement that has drastically changed our lives. In the past, if people were waiting for public transport, they would either be seen holding a book in their hands, or admiring the surroundings, or even casually starting a conversation with commuters at the station/stop. Nowadays, I realised people are less connected to other people or their surroundings. You can try this out for yourself. Go to the station/ bus stop and count how many people are either using their smartphones or are in their own world with loud, blasting music flowing out of their earphones. Or maybe, you can choose to count how many people are actually making an effort to connect with one another or nature. Maybe you never realised this phenomenon. But now that I've pointed it out, " you'll always notice it. And let me tell you, it's freaky!" ~ Quote from Peggy Orenstein's, Cinderella Ate My Daughter.

Nowadays, smartphones & electronic gadgets seem to be taking the role of parents to a certain extent. Try dining out, I can assure you, you will witness toddlers being entertained by brightly lit LCD screens with vivid cartoons floating around. That's not all... When I was visiting an Apple store, I overheard a mother asking her toddler to test the mini IPad and if "it would work for her". HELLLOOOOOO.... The toddler is just a kid, why does she need a mini Ipad? I was flabbergasted. Is it because our society is too affluent and this leads to its members making irrational decisions? I know parents may think that the electronic gadgets are an easy way out to babysitting their child. But have they stopped and pondered if it was really beneficial in the long run? Imagine, if parents could be the one interacting and bonding with the child instead of the electronic gadgets, that would definitely strengthen the relationship between parent and child.

When I was a child, such electronic gadgets did not exist. I had the privilege of following my parents to various dinners and events. Through those events, I witnessed how adults behaved and responded to each other. I even had the opportunity to interact with some of them. Thinking back, those experiences helped me observe people's body & facial language and these indicators teaches me how to respond accordingly. I sometimes find it strange communicating online. Unlike face to face communication, you can't see the person's body language and you don't really have a clue how the person reacted to what you said. I mean they could type something in response but actually think or feel something else and you can't observe their body language for clues on how they are feeling.

I do recognise that the invention of the internet has led to the inter-connectivity of countries in terms of knowledge and trade. But the internet has also led to decline in opportunities for people to brush up on their inter-personal skills. I'm really curious to see how this generation of children (who had IPads as their babysitters) would turn out. I've notice a change in parenting principles. I see kids misbehaving and their parents practically turn a blind eye to it. I don't know if it is related to the appearance of electronic gadgets. But it is definitely a lost of connection between parents and kids. I firmly believe that if parents "spare the rod, they spoil the child".

I wonder, is it possible to balance the use of internet while encouraging face to face communications?
Only time will tell.

** Edit Found this video relatively interesting and relevant to this blog post...






Comments

Popular Posts