Guard your heart

"Guard your heart"
This phrase has been reappearing in conversations of late. It has been awhile since I blogged on the topic of relationships. The last one was 5 years ago, titled Love, BGR... in 2012 when I was still in boarding school in Perth. I believe a lot has changed since then, I have matured quite a bit and naturally would have varying views on this topic.

Growing up, I was taught to be wary of people. A great time to insert another famous quote from my parents, "Take others' words with a pinch of salt." Not so much in the sense that I won't talk to you but more like, I will not let you get to close and push you out before you have the chance of hurting me. This was my attitude to all types of relationships.

Of course, it was not to my advantage at all. After having witnessed so many of my friends' failed relationships, seeing them at their lowest and being the person who picks up the broken pieces & a shoulder to cry on. If only, they knew they deserved so much better...  I learnt more about relationships and human psychology through their heartbreaks. But seeing so much and watching how a once confident person lose all their self esteem broke me. I was afraid. I was petrified of giving someone an opportunity to enter your life only to have them wreak havoc and leave you worse off than when you first started.

But over the years, God has slowly changed me. He taught me to trust; Him and other people more. With that, I learnt that real friendships and strong relationships can only be built with trust, honesty and communication. I am grateful that He taught me this through my sister in Christ, Grace, and the ever so open and precious friendship we share. God also reminded me of being a relatable human being - being open and honest with everyone whether in word or deed. The trust issues that I once had was limiting me in loving people. I was too quick in passing judgement or writing people off just because I was selfish and afraid of being hurt. But the special thing about trusting and relying on God is that His love is infinite. I am going to use the analogy of a portable charger. God's love is just like that, just that the portable charger of God's love never runs out. When others seem to hurt you and (you feel like you cannot love them) they drained a bit of love from your heart, connect to God's love and let Him fill your heart back to 100% for the person.

Disclaimer: Please don't get me wrong, my analogy does not apply to abusive relationships or self-seeking relationships. If you are experiencing emotional or physical abuse. You have the choice of leaving that relationship. No one deserves to have their self esteem broken down like that. If only you knew how much God loves you, you will not allow yourself to be treated this way.

I may be called traditional or old school because I believe that dating is not a game. And I would date with the intention of marriage. Every person is unique, every relationship is different. There is no need for 'past experience' or comparisons. Honestly, the thought of marriage still scares me a bit. But I believe God's perfect love will soon cast out all fear. I trust that God is at work in me and my future husband wherever he is. I pray that until we meet,  may we continue to be impactful individuals after God's heart, being a blessing to the people around us and glorifying Him in all that we do. I pray that God will teach me to recognise him when the time comes because I can be quite blur at times.

Imagine if a neon sign falls from the sky, saying ' Your future husband is here...' that would be quite a sight.... Okay Marissa, too much cartoons.

In the meantime, I will continue working on myself, learning more about who I am and waiting upon the Lord.

Love is patient. Love is kind.
It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It does not dishonour others, it is not self seeking,
it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hope, always persevere.
Love never fails.
1 Corinthians 13:4-8

God's love & blessings~
Xoxo
Marissa



Comments

Popular Posts